Tuesday, September 18, 2007

If I would have left early, I would have ……..

You must be wondering what the sentence is all about.
What could the sentence “If I would have left early, I would have reached the party in time” mean?
The meaning is clear, I believe.
A situation which did not really happen or a condition which would have been better if happened is expressed here.
But the meaning alone does not make the sentence correct.
We understand the meaning quite clearly when someone says “I does not know” though we realize, it is wrong to say so.
The usage we are talking about is quite useful in our language and we use it often.
They are conditional clauses and it is improper to repeat “would have” in the same sentence. It can be expressed either by using the connecting conjunction “if” or without that.
So, the sentence needs to be corrected as:
Had I left early, I would have reached the party.
Or
If I had left early, I would have reached the party.

Let us look at another example:

Had I not seen with my own eyes, I would not have believed it.
Or
If I had not seen with my own eyes, I would not have believed it.

I would love to have the readers’ feed back on this.

No comments: