Saturday, July 14, 2007

Trivial errors of age

In my place, we have an overwhelmingly popular evening daily. This daily at times makes trivial language errors. In the group of people with whom I work, I often encounter the same errors and I realize that these are in fact geographical linguistic errors. These errors are not mountainous and it never paints the speaker ignorant. But a correction would surely make them much better. Look at the following sentence as appeared in the daily recently:

“This has been happening since last six months with greater frequency”.

As you are aware, the tense used is present perfect continuous. Don’t you find any error in this usage? A humble letter by the yours truly was duely acknowledged by the editor of the daily promising not to repeat the error. I would like to get the readers’ response first. I would post my explanations and corrections on 18th of July.

Hope to meet a lot of people in this page in a few days’ time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a common mistake which has been appearing in many write - ups as well as in conversation. Its very good that someone is on an attempt to correct these trivial errors, all the best.

Unknown said...

"This has been happening during the last six months with greater frequency"
Is this correct?