Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Alas! Could you able to?

Is it proper to ask/say,

"Could you able to get the information?"

"We could not able to get similar results."

To me, the above interrogation and the statement are absurd.

"I cannot able to help you in this mission."

"Ram can able to come with you."

These two sentences are absurd as well.

“Could” and “able to” cannot stand together.
Can and able to can also not stand together.

“Could you get the information?”
Or
“Were you able to get the information?” are fine.

Can you come with me?
Or
Are you able to come with me? are fine too.

Could equals was able to/were able to
Can equals am able/is able to/are able to.

So, when could/can is used, no more able to.

Please leave your comments after going through this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is quite interesting. I hear people use this. Nice that it is clarified.

Dr. A.M. Babu said...

Please tell me which of the following usage is correct:
1. I will be grateful if you would give me an early reply.
2. ...if you will give me an early reply.

Anonymous said...

To Dr. A. M. Babu:

I think, the first statement should be preferred.

The second one sounds like a boss is ordering to his subordinate.