Monday, August 13, 2007

H for Hetch, Honour and Hour

A for apple, b for ball…..
What do we place for H in this sequence?
H for hat or h for honey?
Well, to me that sounds quite normal.
Can I teach my child h for honour (with a ho in the beginning instead of o )?
If hearing is believing I believe I can.
Why do some of us pronounce H as hetch, honour as honor instead of onour and hour as hour instead of our?
Does H contain ‘he’ in it?
English says 'No'.
H, the eighth letter in English alphabet is pronounced worldwide as āch or aitch or eitch.
But I hear a geographical twist in the pronunciation and people belonging to certain areas pronouncing it as hetch. This may probably be to pack H with a punch and show the world “this is how our H is”. Wikipedia describes the pronunciation Haitch as typical Irish and Indian.

The older folks learned it that way. It may be hard for them to abruptly change. Let the younger lots go for the global one.

Please click on the link below and hear the standard pronunciation of H.

http://www.answers.com/topic/h-1

Your comment is my inspiration. Please click on comments to leave yours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really good. I tried to correct my daughter who was pronouncing H correctly. I studied it hetch. But she said aitch. No I know I have to change. Thank you for educating me. I will recommend this great website to my friends.

Anonymous said...

It is heartening to see someone starting a useful blog. My children was saying H correctly. But after they were admitted to a School in Bangalore they started hetch. They are thinking their teacher is correct. I will show this to them and also will recommend to their teachers. Good work. Keep it up. Now I will be a regular to this site.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. You should target this blog to country like China as majority of the people are week in English.

Anonymous said...

Sir Thank you for introducing us to an interesting blog about Eng. I will be a frequent visitor. Regards. Srivalli

Unknown said...

If comments are your inspiration, here goes one. :)
But the work you have done for English grammar, your true love for it and your genuine knowledge make you lot more deserving than this.
So far as my search to have some one to ask while I myself stuck grammatically, has come to an end today. :)
e.g. my confusion of correct sentence between, "one of my friends" or "one of my friend"
Kudos to you.

Independence Day SMS said...

Thank you for discussing this great topic. I will definitely bookmark your site. I really admire the writer for allotting their time for this impressive post. Surely many readers can benefit on this topic.